Thursday, July 14, 2011

When I grow up…

Lately I’ve been pondering the age old question “what do I want to be when I grow up?” To some of you 22 is grown up and my mind should have been made up some 4-6 years ago and I should be in career mode already. Things just aren’t adding up that way for me. Whenever I was in high school, I had my heart set on a design school, somewhere, anywhere. I wanted to design clothes, and I wanted to do it well. Something happened along the way and that ambition faded, as well as hopes for a potential history degree. Seemed like a good idea until I realized how many papers I would have to write to get that degree, and my heart just isn’t in writing. Luckily my hobbies are taking me other places and I’m starting to get ideas. I love to sew, LOVE, love, LOVE it. Some days I just don’t feel like straining my neck and dealing with a hot iron, but for the most part once I start something I have a hard time putting it down. I’ve cranked out a lot of projects recently(but I can’t post pictures yet because they’re baby shower gifts for a pal) including some custom PJ pants for Josh! I’m starting to think that a home based business venture might be in line for me. I’m not crazy about the idea of getting a job here on one of the bases, and spouses have a hard time getting jobs here since the locals are given preference, anyways. There’s a girl here who sells fabric and patterns and a few custom things on the side, and she told me I should start selling custom purses, that there is a killing to be made. While I love that idea, that’s a lot of work for one product. Purses take a lot of cutting a lot of fabric and a decent bit of sewing to put together. I love making purses, but I’m afraid that wont be good enough. I have a bag idea for a “grocery keeper” so to speak and I might be trying that out soon. There are craft fairs and things here pretty often since there are a good many people who sell different goods from home. Apparently there aren’t a lot of people who sew here, aside from hobby wise. I’ve always been really grounded but now I seem to be floating away again, I’m not sure that this is actually a good thing to get into. Any thoughts or feelings? Should people turn hobbies into jobs? I feel like maybe if I get a jump start now, when we get back to the states I can try to get things lined up to sell to small vendors. Am I going to have support from my family and friends?

Sorry about the seriousness of this entry, it’s just been bugging me a lot lately. If you have some ideas, suggestions, or advice please throw it my way.

2 comments:

  1. I used to sell my knitting not to long ago (I stopped because of finals, college graduation and the move). I didn't do it as a big source of income, however, I did make a nice bit of change from selling yarn that I hand-dyed and projects I'd knitted.

    I think when a person wants to turn their hobby into a job, it's important to remember that it's a HOBBY. It's easy to lose your love of sewing if you begin to view it as just a job. But if you continue treating it as something you love, you can go far with it.

    Have you ever considered opening an Etsy store? There are tons of people on Etsy who sell handmade items, but like with any business venture it takes time to become established enough that you build a nice customer base. There's also a rule of thumb when selling handmade items. Because of the time/effort that goes into making stuff, I usually recommend taking the cost of supplies and multiplying it by three to cover your time put in to making it. So if the fabric cost you $5, sell the item for $15-$20, depending on how hard the project was.

    Also, when you are back in the states, you could offer sewing lessons on the side for people in your area in addition to selling your projects.

    If you want help getting started on Etsy or more info on starting a business, let me know. It's not only that I have a little experience in it, my degree is in Public Relations/Marketing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t feel there in anything wrong with taking time to select a career. In fact, it is probably very good that you, like many others, didn’t pick a “fantasy” career early in life and waste a lot of time climbing the wrong ladder. Taking your time to decide on a career goal is a very wise choice/decision. If you find it is not only a hobby… but a passion to sew… that may be for you. The thoughts Alice sent you were very good. Since you have experienced the fading desire of designing clothes and majoring in History, it might make is easier to know when a true passion comes along. Just having a job would make for a boring life. A career is your decision. You are the Star of this Show so put aside any concerns about relatives. We can speak for all your relatives when we say it is not our place to interfere in your life for any reason. So don’t worry about losing the support of your family as you will always have our support. We are pleased that Alice mentioned Etsy. It is a great marketplace. G'ma&G'pa

    ReplyDelete