Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Food Culture

Many times when I think back about the places we've traveled, I think of the food. I know, I know it’s the fat kid in me. But food really is an important part of every culture. Every country varies, or every region for that matter. In the states BBQ is a good example, one country but it’s super divided on what good BBQ is. Some people say pork, some say beef, some prefer mustard, some vinegar, and some tomato based. A lot of my life has been spent over indulging on food. While now I try to think of it as fuel, I think it’s still important to embrace it while traveling. You might have to work extra hard when you get home, or pay a few visits to your hotel’s gym but sometimes you should splurge. Don’t be afraid to try new things, the taste will dissipate if it’s not for you!
I think back about eating asparagus risotto and sipping limoncello in Venice, and yes, of course it was at an outside cafe in a courtyard.
256255
We ate pasta overlooking the Grand Canal, cheap gigantic pizza slices and another day fresh fruit.
160161237
Gelato in San Marco Square and this decadent berry crème brulee. Venice was kind to us, to say the least.
077108
We ate dolmades in Mykonos, they definitely weren't my favorite(or Josh’s)
but it was something new to me and I respected the experience all the same.
471
This was the fare in Istanbul. I found it quite good until dessert, something about the texture of it just wasn't for me.
311 312 313 
Josh’s overstuffed pastry from Barcelona, our favorite treat to melt away the heat, and some yummy Mexican we found. Apparently we forgot to take pictures of tapas night, but know they were amazing!
1226 040 111 
Amazing subs on baguettes on the Champs Elysse in Paris. Also that bug infested place we ate at super close to the Eiffel Tower,
lucky for you, I don’t have a picture of that. ;)
This grilled cheese in Amsterdam, serious, it was that good!
060
Dutch pancakes in Amsterdam, and this sandwich I got to go on the day we left.
That sandwich shop was a little slice of heaven!
 133 187
Belgian waffles in Belgium                                    
374

Mozart Balls in Salzburg and a pretzel larger than Josh’s head =)
  315079
The meals we had on the way back from the Eagle’s nest in a small (I believe) German town
403405
If you've heard about Mine and Emily’s India trip you know the food was not our friend. Just know it looks similar to what’s on the left. In it’s defense this was a very good dish, but the thought of food in India still makes me queasy. The picture on the right is a strange yet comforting chicken noodle soup I got. Closest thing to comfort food, at some point in time we had to quit the potato chips =] 
730 1734
Nepal was MUCH kinder and offered many options. Once again, chicken noodle soup and french fries the cure-all. The second is fried rice, the Nepal version of pot-stickers called momo, and Em’s pizza. The Third is yak-cheese pizza. Em and I swore by this place and ate there at least 3 times in the 2 days I believe we were in Pokhara. hah.
2289176001 
Our list from Okinawa is endless but a few interesting things have been sea grapes, the experience of the fish market on Kokusai and lobster head miso soup. In the market you pick your meal and then head upstairs and they cook it for you.

074057 (7)
382198_10151454309759198_1989176732_n 551490_10151454309899198_487803044_n
Hot pot(Tokyo)                                  
233
Cheeseburger sushi and the Okinawan specialty, taco rice
 190 317
If you’ve made it this far, you’re either disgusted or super hungry. Once we return stateside I’m going to figure out the perfect asparagus risotto ;) But for now it’s pantry emptying time since we’re getting down to the wire. What’s your favorite food, be it from afar or right next door?

No comments:

Post a Comment